Awareness Challenge: Week TWO
The focus of this week’s challenge is to use journaling as a method to gain awareness over your thoughts. Like meditation, journaling is a foundational tool that will be in your toolkit for the long haul as we go through the 10 themes of transformation. This week will be about developing a practice with it, and using it to take stock of all your thoughts.
There is something magical that occurs when you extract the thoughts from your head and put them on paper. Ideas become clearer. Perceived problems and anxieties start to become manageable, and the good things that are normally glazed over start to become apparent. Our minds jump from one thing to the next, rarely focusing long enough to reach a resolution or get to the root of it. When you allow the thought to flow from mind to paper, a new awareness and understanding begins to form.
If you already keep a daily journal, then continue to use the methods that work best for you. This week’s challenge will be structured for beginners, and is meant to make anyone comfortable with putting pen to paper to log your thoughts. As we progress, journaling will come up over and over again as a method to develop gratitude, limit judgement, improve self talk, and so on.
This week the challenge is to write your thoughts in a journal before bed, without any expectations. The idea is to build confidence and a habit around putting pen to paper daily to explore the inner workings of your mind. Similar to meditation, journaling will serve as a foundational practice as we progress through the challenges. The idea is to get comfortable with it, and make it a regular part of your routine.
Time Commitment: 10 Minutes
The goal is to write one page per day. As you progress and journaling becomes a seamless part of your daily routine, you will likely find this to be a cathartic activity. As this happens, feel free to write as much (or as little) as you need.
For this week, focus on journaling in the evening, starting 1 – 2 hours before you plan to go to bed. Nighttime is a great time to reflect on all the thoughts you’ve accumulated during the day. Your cortisol levels are generally lower in the evening, which provides an opportunity to work through some of the sticky stuff that came up during the day, helping you get into bed with a calm mind.
At this stage, the goal is to simply let your thoughts flow onto the page. There really is no right or wrong way to journal, and it is super important that you simply get comfortable with the activity. As the challenges progress, we will add some structure to the foundation you are building this week.
- Although computers are great, when it comes to journalling, often a pen and paper are the best. There are less distractions, no delete button, and no blue light to contend with.
- Make it a ritual by having a dedicated pen and notebook that you use only for journaling. Moleskine makes some great notebooks that are small, discreet, and luxuriously basic, however any notebook will work just fine.
- Write the date at the top of a new page. This will put you in a present mind-set, and will allow you to see how the days are progressing as you flip through your journal to the correct page each day.
- Write whatever comes to mind. Don’t worry about structure, punctuation, or spelling at this point. If nothing comes to mind, then simply write that you do not know what to write. Over time, you will learn to write your thoughts without judgment – there are few times our minds are free from any thought, and once you become comfortable with journaling, there will be too much to say, and it will be hard to get all of your thoughts down.
- Once you finish your journaling session, shut your notebook and reflect on how you feel.
That’s it for this week! Make it fun, relaxing, and free from judgement.
Pairs Well With: STUNN PM
Take two capsules of STUNN PM with a glass of water 2 hours before bed, and follow that with your evening journaling session. Let your STUNN PM serve as the daily reminder to journal, providing that extra nourishment for your skin and mind.
As always feel free to share, and if you have any questions, comment below or email us! We’re always here, and we’re doing this right alongside you.
Not a part of the STUNN Tribe yet? Why not join us in our Facebook Group? We (and hopefully you) will be providing regular updates on these challenges, sharing our personal experiences, and generally diving a whole lot deeper on all things.
Transformation is journey oriented, where the process is arguably more impactful than any end result. Philosophically speaking, you could say the journey is the desired result… We can’t wait to get started on this journey, and hope you join us!
STUNN Collective is all about curating transformative routines, and connecting the dots between mental wellbeing and skincare. We all intuitively know that stress, fatigue, and anxiety is often linked to bad skin, and STUNN Collective is changing that with innovative, 100% plant based, vegan supplements, and a community forward approach.