Awareness Challenge: Week ONE
With this week’s challenge, we will be focusing on developing a practice around internal-awareness through meditation. You may already have a strong meditation practice, and that’s great! If so, this week’s challenge will be a breeze for you – but challenge yourself to suspend your regular expectations and start fresh.
If you are new to meditation, don’t be intimidated – it is a simple practice, and can be as easy as taking one deep, conscious breath. Meditation is a tool that is available 24/7 – no matter where you are in the world – that can help reduce stress, provide clarity, and allow you to gain a deeper sense of awareness about yourself. The goal of meditation is to connect with your inner self.
Meditation can go very deep and explore many different facets of our mind and our connection to our spirituality, but what we’re challenging you to do this week is to set aside as little as five minutes (more if you like) to simply sit with yourself. The goal is to develop a meditation practice that works for you, and stick to it long term. Developing a long lasting meditation practice will serve as a strong backbone for your own transformation journey.
Time Commitment: 10 Minutes
We recommend starting with 10 minutes, but you can meditate for as long or as little as you like!
We recommend starting by making this the first thing you do every morning – the first step in your morning routine.
When you first wake up, your mind is clear of clutter, and it is a good time to connect with yourself. As you become more comfortable with it, you can start meditating before bed, and can even pepper it in throughout the day when the need arises.
There are many branches of meditation, but when starting we recommend making it as simple as possible. As you progress and begin realizing some of the benefits, you can learn new techniques:
- You may choose to sit up straight in a chair or on the floor, or lie down (as long as you don’t fall asleep). The key is to be comfortable.
- Set yourself up by setting a gentle alarm for the amount of time you choose to commit to this practice. You can play meditation music or binaural beats if you like, or simply embrace the silence.
- Focus on your breath. In, out, in, out, and repeat. Feel free to count your breath if you like.
- Your mind will inevitably wander, and when it does, simply notice this, then refocus on your breath.
- There may be distractions but that’s okay. If you hear someone moving around, or a dog barking, or the phone ringing, and you catch yourself thinking about it – that’s fine, that’s part of it.
- Once your alarm sounds, you’re done. You can let the thoughts go or reflect on them in a way that resonates with you. Next week we will get into a method of exploring this in more detail, but for now – you just do you.
Pairs Well With: STUNN AM
Take two capsules of STUNN AM with a room temperature glass of water immediately before your morning meditation. Let your STUNN AM serve as the daily reminder to meditate!
If you need a bit more support, this NY Times article digs into the how to of meditation a bit deeper. There are also many great apps that teach meditation if you are interested – We recommend Headspace or Sam Harris’ Waking Up app.
This month is about awareness, so while you’re sitting in this period of meditation, focus on listening to yourself. Pay attention to what is coming up and where your thoughts are guiding you. That’s all this week needs to be about, it is the very very start of your journey. Next week we will begin to explore present awareness by adding in journaling into our daily routine.
As always feel free to share, and if you have any questions, comment below or email us! We’re always here, and we’re doing this right alongside you.
Not a part of the STUNN Tribe yet? Why not join us in our Facebook Group? We (and hopefully you) will be providing regular updates on these challenges, sharing our personal experiences, and generally diving a whole lot deeper on all things.
Transformation is journey oriented, where the process is arguably more impactful than any end result. Philosophically speaking, you could say the journey is the desired result… We can’t wait to get started on this journey, and hope you join us!
STUNN Collective is all about curating transformative routines, and connecting the dots between mental wellbeing and skincare. We all intuitively know that stress, fatigue, and anxiety is often linked to bad skin, and STUNN Collective is changing that with innovative, 100% plant based, vegan supplements, and a community forward approach.